The Advantages of Sustainable Building by Claire Cardwell
Sustainable buildings typically have lower annual costs for energy, water and maintenance/repair. Through integrated design and innovative use of sustainable materials and equipment, the first cost of a sustainable building can be the same as, or lower than, that of a traditional building.
Benefits to the Environment
Sustainable building goes beyond green building concepts - buildings are designed to have a lower environmental impact over their entire lifetime.
2. Raw Materials - Instead of depleting natural resources, developers of sustainable buildings use less raw materials and more environmentally-responsible products, such as recycled or renewable resources. They also look for the most durable options to delay the need for replacements and repairs for as long as possible. Lastly, they recycle construction debris to reduce the amount of waste going to landfills.
4. Land - Even the choice of land plays a role in sustainable construction. Properties are built in areas where construction will lead to the least possible land degradation and deforestation while promoting healthy landscaping and preventing erosion. One obvious strategy to reduce first costs is to apply appropriate siting and building orientation techniques to capture solar radiation for lighting and heating in winter and shade the building using vegetation or other site features to reduce the summer cooling load.
6. Reduced Volumes of Solid Waste. Several sustainable design principles reduce waste, which in turn reduces the strain
on landfills. The main sustainable design principles that reduce waste include the following: Storage and collection of recyclables. The building design should provide space for collecting and storing materials such as paper, glass, plastic, and metals that will be recycled. Construction waste management. During construction, the contractor can recycle or productively use construction, demolition, and land-clearing wastes and divert these wastes from landfill disposal. Recycled content. Designers can select environmentally preferable materials that include recycled materials.
1. Reduce operating costs.
2. Optimise the life cycle of the building.
3. Increase property value.
4. Improve occupants attendance and productivity.
Social BenefitsAlthough the environmental and economic benefits of green buildings are well known, the social benefits of green buildings are often ignored. By improving indoor environmental quality you can:
1. Improve occupants comfort and health.
2. Create an aesthetically pleasing environment.
3. Minimise strain on local infrastructure.
4. Increase occupants overall morale.
5. Improve worker productivity.
Claire Cardwell is originally from the UK and moved to South Africa in 1999. She started Blue Designs in 2004 after working as a Project Manager for Avalon Construction on a luxury home in the Featherbrook Estate. In her spare time Claire is a keen artist and photographer.
Sources : -
The build design blog
Articles from Claire L CardwellView blog
Many people mistake Flat Pack Homes with the 1940's and 50's prefabricated homes that were built for ...
Is it a bird? · Is it a Plane? · No it's a house... the 747 Wing House in California was designed by ...
You may be interested in these jobs
Pillango Placements Ermelo, South Africa
The company is a thriving and growing company that rewards great performance and offers wide and varied growth opportunities outside of the traditional progression (take my boss's job). · The main pu ...
Red Ember Recruitment Pretoria, South Africa R250,000 - R350,000 per year
The candidate is required to provide efficient remuneration and benefits administration service and Human Capital support through the processing and administration of the company's remuneration and be ...
Easy Recruit SA Durban, South Africa R300,000 - R600,000 per year
bachelor in mechanical engineering · 10 years experience · construction supervisor experience