This professional is in active search of jobs
I am a Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Manager bringing safety culture and risk management abilities developed over a 24-year career in metals, mining, agriculture, construction, FMCG, forestry and timber products industries. Experienced in ISO 45001, ISO 14001 and NOSA health and safety and environmental management systems. Technical proficiency in HSE strategies, legal compliance, auditing, continuous improvement plans and behaviour based safety. Leadership skills in performing risk assessments, incident investigations, emergency preparedness and response, training and people management.
I have led a multinational company (42 000 employees), driving Zero Harm campaigns - reduced fatalities: 11 to 1; improved lost time injury frequency rate: 0.100 - 0.076; cut occupational health illnesses by 80%.
BSc Bachelors Degree in Geography and Environmental Studies; Diploma in Electrical Power Engineering; Senior Management Development Programme; Several HSE courses
Miro Forestry and Timber Products, Asante-Akyem, Ghana and Freetown, Sierra Leone
Group Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Manager June 2020 – present
- Forestry, Sawmill, Pole treatment plant, Veneer/Plywood industrial safety experience: introduced road safety, machinery safety and leadership in safety initiatives and eliminated fatalities (from 11 in 15 months to zero in 11 months) and cut lost time injuries by 81% (from 53 in 12 months to 10 in 11 months)
- Management oversight: Leading OHS teams at Ghana and Sierra Leone operations providing direction.
- Formulating policies and procedures: Working with Compliance Director to develop and implement health and safety policies and procedures ensuring compliance with legislation and international best practice.
- Performing audits and risk assessments: Identifying gaps and mitigating risks
- Road safety and vehicle monitoring: Facilitating a driver and vehicle monitoring system including fatigue risk management. Cut vehicle accidents by 22%.
- Safety culture improvement: Introduced safety leadership training, safety culture assessments, financial/non-financial incentives, consequence management. Reduced dependency on external consultancy by 90%.
- Developed ‘fail-safe’ controls: Driving projects to install control systems including automatic fire sprinklers, vehicle speed limiters, vehicle roll over protection structures, machinery interlocking mechanisms etc.
- Occupational Health management: Providing oversight of the occupational health function.
- Change Management: Coordinating cross functional teams to manage change in OHS context.
- Compliance: Driving OHS management systems complying with the Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) Principles, ILO standards and seeking certification to ISO 45001.
- Security: consultative and advisory role on Security Management Plan. Tongaat Hulett South Africa, Durban, South Africa August 2011 – February 2020
Executive - Safety, Health, Environment, Quality and Security (SHEQS)
- Enhanced Visible Felt Leadership heading SHEQS function - introduced two board committee and four executive stand-back reviews annually.
- Directed SHEQS strategy execution and oversaw management accountability - created balanced safety scorecards with target scores of 80% per manager/month.
- Delivered key construction project management goals, facilitating cross-functional teams - eliminated fatalities; limited injuries to less than 5 in 3 million hours worked - Xinavane Mill (>ZAR 500 million), Tongaat Hulett land developments (>ZAR 1 billion), Germiston Mill (ZAR 120 million), Huletts Refinery (>ZAR 90 million).
- Revitalised audit programme facilitating internal audits and leading external audits - secured certification to ISO 14001/ISO 45001 management systems; increased audit scores to > 85%; cut non-conformances by 23%.
- Overhauled 16 SHEQS teams in 4 countries; launched 2 SHEQS offices in Namibia and Botswana lowering head count by 12%; ZAR 9.85 million saving/year. Developed 26 HSE Managers/Specialists. Tongaat Hulett Zimbabwe, Masvingo, Zimbabwe March 2005 - July 2011
HSE and Sustainability Manager
- Initiated HSE system review and compliance analysis, integrating ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 and NOSA codes of practice and increasing monitoring –third party certification; decreased number of audits from 18 to 10 per year; 56% cost/time savings.
- Pioneered risk assessments and internal audits, generated performance trends and initiated continuous improvement plans - decreased injuries by 55%.
- Collaborated for safety culture transition, guiding change management during the merger of Triangle and Hippo Valley Estates (18000 employees); construction projects (US$ 32 million) – 5 months ahead of schedule, spearheading 36 road show safety campaigns.
- Founded behaviour based safety, supervising a team of 80 employees and keeping abreast of HSE legislation – >90% scores achieved in 3 legal audits.
- Performed environmental impact assessments and established environmental management plans, meeting consent conditions - saved 40% of regulatory costs.Mimosa Mine, Zvishavane, Zimbabwe January- February 2005
HSE Officer (2 months)
Zimbabwe Alloys, Gweru, Zimbabwe October 1996 - December 2004
Safety Coordinator: October 2002- December 2004
- Championed behaviour based safety – won silver award in Anglo American Plc worldwide safety competitions involving more than 800 companies.
- Technical expert for safety hazard analyses, hot work permitting, training, emergency planning and response.
- Assisted management during incident investigations and analysis and performed risk assessments.